Five Tips for What to Wear for your Engagement Session in the Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter
I love engagement sessions! They give me a chance to get to know my couples and my couples to get to know me. I am able to teach them some core poses and as a result, it gets them comfortable in front of the camera. It truly is a practice round for the wedding day. I tell my couples that an engagement session is pretty much a one hour cuddle session 🙂 I mean, who doesn’t want that!?
Figuring out what to wear can be stressful!
I want to help couples out with knowing what to wear for their engagement session because it definitely can be stressful finding the perfect outfit so I am here to help!
I’ve photographed my fair share of engagement sessions and have seen what works and what doesn’t! This is such a special occasion so let’s celebrate you two spending forever together!
I am going to give you 5 tips to picking out outfits and then I’m also going to share examples of outfits for each season of the year.
5 Tips for Picking Out Outfits
- Pick out an outfit you’re comfortable in. You don’t want to have to mess with it the whole time! You may pick something out and it looks fabulous on you while you’re standing still, but as soon as your session begins, it starts moving and you have to keep adjusting it!
- Think of your session as a date! You typically dress up when you go out on a date, right?! So choose a beautiful, flowy dress from your closet that you never have an occasion to wear or head over to RentTheRunway, a cute boutique in your town, or browse online and rent or buy a fun dress or jumpsuit. Meanwhile, the men could throw on a navy suit or tan pants and a navy jacket. A nice button down with navy, tan or off white pants looks great in photos!
A few great stores to check out for outfits!
- I encourage my couples to try NOT to match! It’s best to coordinate your outfits. Soft colors such as dusty blue, blush, soft yellow, and whites photograph beautifully!
- Bring along TWO pairs of shoes! In addition to wearing heels, it’s also best if you bring a pair of flip-flops in case you need to walk a bit of a distance then your feet aren’t killing you 🙂
- Bring along two different outfits! They can either be two dressy outfits or do a dressy outfit and a bit more casual outfit! Ladies, your casual outfit could be a pair white pants and a top or cropped trousers and a pretty sweater! Tan pants & a white shirt for your man always shows up great in camera, as well as dark jeans and a blazer
What to Wear For a Spring Engagement Session
- A soft floral dress is a perfect choice for a shoot in a garden!
- Secondly, trousers & blousy top would photograph beautifully as well.
- Thirdly, a suit or grey blazer and navy pants for the gentlemen looks sharp in images
What to Wear For a Summer Engagement Session
- Long flowy dress
- Off the shoulder dress or top paired with sleek cropped pants and also a skirt would look great as well!
- Short sleeve button down shirt & tan or navy pants
What to Wear For a Fall Engagement Session
- A skirt with tights and boots with a sweater tucked in and you could also add a hat or scarf!
- White sweater and a tan jacket with sleek cropped pants would look very classy.
- For the gentlemen- A v-neck sweater as well as navy or tan pants and boots
What to Wear For a Winter Engagement Session
- A long velvet dress or a long black dress would be beautiful as well as a sparkly dress
- 3/4 length flowy skirt with heels and fitted top tucked in
- Sharp, tailored suit for the gentlemen
I hope this blogpost helped with your search and therefore helped you feel comfortable for your engagement session!
Interested in checking out some more engagement session inspiration?